These days, a quick online search allows clients to make a first impression of you and your business before picking up the phone or sending an email. Do your current online photos effectively build the image of a professional? Not all photographs are equal; a dated or casual snapshot may not convey a professional tone. Have you considered preparing for a headshot to achieve success? “Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation, there is sure to be failure,” according to the wise words of Confucius.
Before the photoshoot:
Analyze: Examine previous photos to pinpoint preferences and dislikes; share both with the photographer.
- Is there a particular angle that allows you to look better in photographs?
- Review your natural smile and look for elements such as squinting
- Do you consistently wear the same colors, patterns, or clothing style in your best photos?
- Consider details that contribute to a polished appearance, such as:
- A well-groomed hairstyle
- Minimalistic jewelry
- Clean glasses
- Schedule your photoshoot to allow for a good night’s sleep
- Consider incorporating elements like listening to a comedian or music to achieve a more natural appearance
- Survey friends and family in selecting your top photos, as their opinions will be insightful. We are most often critical of ourselves
- Significant changes in personal style may require more frequent photoshoots; updating your headshot at least every five years is recommended
Approach your headshot as a tool to establish stronger connections. Investing time, effort, and resources in your business displays professionalism, setting you apart from the competition. Share your updated headshot with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.